Tuesday, December 11, 2007

News & Pints (CT Edition)



Yes, here I go again plagarizing the title of great JB's column. But I felt compelled to get this vital information online for the masses. Some folks enjoy wine, others a good scotch. Myself? I'm a beer man. While down in Sint Maarten, I enjoyed a bottle or two of Guinness. Now mind you, Guinness in Sint Maarten is a bit different than what we have here in the United States. It goes by the official name "Guinness Foreign Extra" What's extra you ask? How bout a 7.5% alcohol content? (Vs. the American "Guinness Stout" which is 6%)

Well, never mind the alcohol content, I'm concerned about the taste. I managed to stuff a few bottles of Foreign Extra in my suitcase for the trip home. I wish I'd packed more. More on that in a second. The FE (We'll abbreviate to save time) was rich, flavorful and packed a wallop. (Not to mention cheaper if purchased on the Dutch side)

I immediately opened a bottle of the American Stout. It had less flavor. Way less flavor. The FE even has a better aroma when you crack the bottle open. I'm all about the aroma.

As usual, America gets the short end of the stick. We have to pay more for a lot less. After reading the wikipedia entry regarding Guinness, I've made my decision. Looks like I'm off to the Netherlands. (8%!!!) And I'm gonna need a bigger suitcase. And as for now? The taste of that sweet Foreign Extra is only a fading memory.

Sidenote: more from Wikipedia regarding Guinness Foreign Extra: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, is a 7.5% abv version sold in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean and Asia. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally. The strength can vary, for example, it is sold at 5% abv in China, 6.5% abv in Jamaica and East Africa, and 8% abv in Singapore]. In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer.

1 comment:

Stamford Talk said...

Brewed locally, very cool. Who knew Guinness would ship out an unfinished beer?

I know people are really into wine, but I find beer to be a pretty interesting subject. I mean, wine only comes from grapes, but beer comes from all sorts of stuff.

I went to the Guinness factory in Dublin and it was really disappointing. It was like a stupid kid's museum.