Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Green Screen and the A1

The mission: To pull a clean key with the Canon XH-A1 in High Definition. The subject: Film maker and willing participant, Paul David Anthony. He was good enough to sit down and answer a few questions in front of the green screen. The end result? View it here.

Overall, things keyed out pretty nicely. I even shot it at 24F. The major problem was that I had the camera in a custom preset geared toward outdoor shooting. Skin tones as you can see came out very red, even with some color correction. I'm still trying to work the bugs out of my HD edit workflow, cuz the raw shots aren't as bad, but once I drop them on an FCP timeline, they go red.

Also, in some sections of the video, you can see right thru the DVD he is holding, leading me to belive that the reflection from the key light somehow became keyable footage. I used the new Keylight 1.2 plug in in After Effects, which I am most happy with. I probably could have done some more finessing to get even better. Not terrible for a first try. I'm looking forward to shooting some more footage now that I know what can be done.

Editing HD in Final Cut Pro can be a daunting task, but when things work out, I'm pretty stoked.

No comments: